Recipe: Beefy Taco Pizza
By Ann Taylor Pittman
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1½ to 3 minutes
Yields: 4 servings (serving size: 2 wedges)
February 9th is National Pizza Day, which might just be the greatest holiday ever. We’re all for any reason to dig into a cheesy pie, especially one that’s this delicious and family-friendly. Our home-cooked Tex-Mex pizza is a departure from classic red-sauced versions. The sauce here is gussied-up refried beans, which create a hearty, creamy base for the other toppings. The pizza is meaty, cheesy, and—this is the best part—topped with guacamole (because why not put guac on pizza?). The quick homemade taco seasoning tastes great and is made from pantry spice staples; it lets you steer clear of all the preservatives and sodium typically found in the packaged stuff. Best of all, cooking in a pellet-fired pizza oven gives you an irresistible smoky, crispy crust with a little bit of char. A few slivers of (optional) jalapeño pepper will perk up your slices if you want some kick. Get ready: You might just want to turn this into a pizza party. Invite the neighbors, whip up a batch of margaritas, and make three or four pizzas to feed the crowd!
Fire & Flavor wood pellets (any variety)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 pound 90% lean ground sirloin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup refried beans
1/3 cup salsa
1 (12-ounce) ball pizza dough, at room temperature
4 ounces Colby Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup) (For best results, shred your own cheese.)
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Cilantro sprigs and sliced jalapeño (optional)
1. Prepare a pellet-fired pizza oven (such as Uuni 3) according to manufacturer’s directions, allowing time for oven to properly heat. Top off with enough pellets as needed to maintain heat.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef, stirring to crumble. Sprinkle beef with chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, and garlic powder; cook until done, stirring to crumble, about 5 minutes.
3. Combine refried beans and salsa, stirring well.
4. Roll or stretch dough into an 11½-inch circle on a lightly floured pizza peel. Spread refried beans mixture over dough, leaving a 1-inch border around edge. Top evenly with beef; sprinkle beef evenly with cheese. Sprinkle evenly with tomatoes and green onions.
5. Mash avocado in a small bowl; stir in cilantro, lime juice, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set guacamole aside until pizza is done.
6. Carefully slide dough into hot pizza oven using pizza peel. Close oven door. Cook pizza until dough is browned and blistered on edges and pizza is done, carefully rotating pizza every 30 seconds, about 1½ to 3 minutes total. Remove pizza from oven using pizza peel. Cut into 8 wedges. Serve with cilantro wedges and jalapeño slices, if desired.
Leave a comment